in their current state, I would use them if they cost 3 elite points. they would be quite strong in late T1 and early T2. their one ability that is supposed to make them viable in late game are the mines. we can make an argument they are strong, as they melt giant elites due to their percentage-based, scaling damage. but when put into practice, their detonation range is way too small and appears unreliable. lastly, in late game, Warp Spiders just dont do enough damage to, well, anything. so in summary:
- their 4-point teleport that slows
- decent damage against starting units and other elites
- way too expensive for what they do
- mines are unreliable due to their extremely long arming time, and small activation radius
- don't scale well into late game
- the teleportation mechanic is extremely unwieldly in this micro-heavy game. I would remove this completely.
Some proposed changes...
- if everything is kept as is, Warp Spiders should cost 3 elite points. If I'm waiting till 5, then I might as well wait till 7 or even 9. there isn't a strategic advantage to getting these guys at any single point in the game, like when you drop Macha, Scorps and WL. These guys have the power to change the outcome of a battle, but Warp Spiders can't swing outcomes in your favor, no matter when you drop them
- for 5 elite points, I want +30% damage, -50% mine activation time, and +50% mine activation radius (maybe at the cost of longer CD). If we're going with mines and not bombs like in DoW2, then they need to area-deny, almost completely. in their current state, it's way too easy to go around them, and even when theyre triggered (unless on a giant elite) they dont really make a difference.