Trying to add proper Audio to a custom map is currently an excercise in frustration - because some key things are simply not documented. If some developer could explain how to do it right, that would be extremely helpful.
1. How to properly use Audio Regions?
- There does not seem to be any documentation on this online, not even older one for CoH.
- Extracting existing maps from their SGA Archives allows you to see the painted Audio Regions in action, however simply painting some from existing presets into your custom map does not seem to work. Aparently, some sort of trigger event or something is needed to be set up so some actual sound gets played.
2. How to set Music for the Level?
- There are some legacy tutorials / threads for CoH avaiable online, however they do not seem to work.
- Official maps extracted from their SGA Archives have no music path in their .info or .options file and also show no evidence/hints that i am aware off on how to set up custom maps to play music.
- The most obvious way would be to use the music option under scenario options. However, if you click that all you get is an empty list.
3. How to properly use Action Markers to play location specific audio?
- There are some legacy tutorials / threads for CoH avaiable online, however they do not seem to work anymore. Specifically, sound_attach does not exist anymore as an action for an Action Marker.
- Extracting existing maps from their SGA Archives allows you to find that Action Markers can use the audio_event action to play location specific sound, however just like for the music options, there is no useable dropdown list of sounds or anything like that. You seem to have to enter specific sound names and/or have some sort of trigger events start the sound. Neither do i know how to find out the name of available sound bits, nor how to properly trigger them.
4. Why do some entities emit sound in Editor, but not in Game?
- This is noteable for example with Power Cores / Turrets / Shield Gens. Also with projectiles. In Editor, they emit a loud clear sound, Ingame they have no sound or are very silent. ( With Options -> FX volume on maximum. )
- How and where can one set up the range and base volume for entity based sounds?
@Kat_RE : If you could poke someone in the know to fill our knowledge gaps, that would be deeply appreciated!