I personally enjoy the elite system very much but think the way elite points are generated could do with some tweaks. There are two interlinked problems in my view:
1) Late-game elites are not worth the cost and in many games will not even hit the field, in particular 7 point elites are a pretty bad value proposition as they are strong for just a couple of minutes and then completely overshadowed. Early-game elites are as a consequence slightly overpowered, because they rule the field during the beginning of the game when much more is determined, and because they offer a lot of utility for their cost, while late game elites do not. (Personally, I think 3 point elites being useful is a very good thing, so I will return to this point)
2) Getting elite points from objectives in Power Core is also slightly unbalanced, because of how influential elites are in the game, especially early on. It can mean that only the winning team will get their elites out, and while I am not completely opposed to some reward for destroying objectives, many think elite point bonuses are a bit unfair.
We have a problem, in general, of people quitting games early on before much has been decided, often because of the snowballing caused by objective rewards.
I suggest only these tweaks:
1) Increase the rate of elite point generation. At the moment it is 1 point every 2 minutes before elite gen modifiers, I would suggest trying 100 seconds.
2) Consider reducing the cost of an elite point generator but also reducing its return, so a single elite point would reduce by 10% the time to generate a point. They could also make it so that elite points have a fixed price and are not increased in cost by the number of nodes you have that are not elite point generators. Consider making it so that all elite point nodes, not just the ones with regular resource nodes, can be upgraded to increase returns (yes this works in game, but only on certain maps) The bonus from elite points could also be affected by Escalation Phases. Making this resource something players have a bit more influence over, rather than just being generated over time, would help a lot to level the playing field for late game elites.
3) Remove elite point rewards from objectives, to balance this change out and remove the problem of big rewards from killing objectives, which imo from playing Annihilation, I believe are unnecessary (especially if (1) is implemented)
The aim of this is to allow high point cost elites to have some viability/relevance and more strategies for using them. It's clear, since they are adding 3 great looking elites that are surely 7 or 8 points, that Relic intend for late game elites to have some relevance in their game, but for competitive players they are redundant in most builds because games are simply determined before it is possible for them to come out. 7 point elites in particular suffer because late game armies make the units themselves a bit irrelevant because high AP dps is on the field before they arrive. There's a huge amount of resources available especially in the late game, but elite points are very hard to come by, making a lot of elites quite weak. I personally only ever use a 9 point elite for its command doctrine and only in 3v3!
There are definitely some that would have a problem with 2 and 3 point elites arriving on the field even earlier than the 4 minute mark. Therefore maybe Relic could consider delaying ALL elite point generation for the first 2-4 minutes so there is a specified opening phase of the game with no elites. At the end of this phase the first elite point for each team is generated. This would help to extend games which do not really last long enough, because early game elites are strong enough to end games. This period could be modified to get the balance right on 9 point elites, which could come a bit too early if rushed.
This is a very contentious issue and I am merely giving my opinion! Everyone will have their own, and I am interested in hearing what they are. I personally think that changes should be made that are small and not a complete rework of the game like making elites have a resource cost, and from playing I think these measures would help.