Yes, everyone know ranger spam is a big problem. However, sniper has always been a problem in Relict game (Except for DOW2 which make ranger kind of useless). And instead of nerf them to the ground, bellow are some of my idea to make ranger still viable but not so OP.
In my opinion, ranger role should be:
- Scout from save position
- poking static player and make them move
- counter to slow setup team and heavy weapon team
- Make ranger deal better damage against static target but worse against fast moving target. Because heavy weapon team need to setup time, they will be excellent target. Also, if the other stay static and not moving, they will be punish as well. However, this mean ranger can not stop a pushing army that is moving, as their damage is worse.
- Ranger scout ability should halt the ranger in place. This will make them more vulnerable when using this ability.
- Multiple ranger cause less damage against single target for short amount of time. Maybe if a squad get shot by a ranger they get a very brief buff (Call it sniper awareness or anything) and take less damage form sub-sequence shot. This will make focus fire on single squad harder, however, good player can still micro multiple ranger to attack on multiple target to maximize damage.
I know that many of my idea are hard to implement in the game. But I think this would keep the ranger and sniper effectiveness yet constraint them to specific situation and usages.