Cover system is a feature and a conflict point of DoW3.
[I] How does cover system work in DoW1?
There are light cover and heavy cover and negative cover. What I want to point out is the usage of players.
We can see that in the Pro-Level tournament, those covers are seldom used by players and both players just replace their units quickly and frequently.
[II] How does cover system work in DoW2?
There are light cover and heavy cover. What I want to point out is the usage of players.
We can see that in the High rank(I thought they were) competition, those covers are seldom used by players and both players just replace their units quickly and frequently.
[III] How does cover system work in CoH2?
We can see that players do more use those covers on the battlefield.
[IV] How does cover system work in DoW3?
According to there are less environment cover on the battlefield, so players do seldom use cover system.
[V] Why cover system is so hard to fit in DoW game?
(1) The melee system：
Those melee units are less benefit from the cover system and they are tend to enter the cover to destroy the range units.
(2) The retreat system：(DoW2)
When players think it's not good for their units stay at cover position and then they choose to retreat to HQ and this thing brings more benefit to them.
(3) A lot of AOE damage weapons：(Especially in DoW2)
Due to there are a lot of AOE weapons and abilities in DOW games, units are hard to stay behind cover for a long time.
(4) The arrangement of cover：
The usage of cover does affect by the arrangement of cover, if the arrangement far away conflict zone and then it got less used.
[VI] How do I think about cover system in DoW3?
(1) Honestly, no matter what design is, players(High rank) do seldom use the environment cover system, so I think we can choose to add it or not.
(2) I am not saying the cover system is useless, so we remove it. But I think we can think how to improve the usage of cover system to increase the using rate.
(3) Maybe Relic does think it from the game design perspective：
If a design is useless and then to remove it to avoid the confusion of players and reduce the burden of computer.
(4) To players (I thought)：
-1- To "immersive" players
They want immersive feeling, even those covers do not have much value to use, but it brings the immersive feeling, thus they still want it be present in the game.
-2- To "Competitive" players
They just want to assure those covers would not affect the fairness of competition and that's it.
(5) I think we should consider all of those factors and then to design a improved cover system for DoW game.
Thanks for reading.