I don't seem to be able to get DoW 2 Retribution to start any more, other DoW games including Chaos Rising still work.
I've tried the following based on forums here and in Steam:
1. Uninstalled and reinstalled via Steam
2. Uninstalled and manually deleted folders "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dawn of War II - Retribution" and "C:\Users\\Documents\my games\dawn of war ii - retribution"
3. After downloading tried "Verify Integrity of Games Files" in Steam (twice as recommended in this forum)
4. Using compatibility mode on the DOW2.exe executable trying: Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista SP2
5. Noticed a warning in the log file warnings.txt about not being able to find "Settings/Local.ini" so created an empty file
6. Reset the read-only and permissions for "my games\dawn of war ii - retribution" in case there was a permission issue
7. Ran DOW2.exe as Administrator
8. Reinstalled VC 2005 Redist using the version on this post (https://steamcommunity.com/app/56400/discussions/0/360671583801401293/) and then again by looking for the latest MS version of the same
9. Looked through the Steam package history https://steamdb.info/depot/56427/history/ to see if a recent Relic/Steam package change broke the game...
10. Ran with -nosound
11. Gave up
I see a few other posts about folk having issues. Anyone resolved this? Anyone know when they started?