I've been in discussion with some mates on our clan website about the races to come in Dawn of War III, you may notice I pull allot of the points from that discussion into this post. Something they brought up that I think everyone will appreciate is the unique element races were given with the arrival of Dark Crusade. It was with that expansion that Relic had brought about races that were vastly different, to paraphrase from our discussion, you are not just playing different race that is a reskinned version of the last one you played.
The introduction of the Necrons brought along:
- A power-only resource system that was well thought out
- Base units that were entirely resource free
- Speed-specific limitations that were overcome with strategic point control
- Offensive units that would crawl out of the ground anywhere on the map
With Tau we saw:
- Two unique streams of units to choose from
- Quite weak, yet offensively powerful units
There was such great character to those two races that forced you to play a different style and plan different strategies altogether. With only three races incoming for Dawn of War III, I am really hoping the developers indulge themselves with differing attributes for the three races.