OK, so I know I seem quite flamey and negative here, but recently I posted in a forum post with all of my concerns and notice that so many things seem to be stripped out of the game.
I would be interested to know other peoples input regarding my feedback below (sorry, I got a bit ragey/sarcastic at times)
My points and questions are,
Q) In what way do you feel DOW3 is an advancement/evolution from the previous games (as you can tell from my list below I feel it's a step backwards)
Q) Which new features have been introduced that weren't in the previous games?
Q) What does this game have to offer for DOW2 fans in particular? (remember this game is supposed to cater for, and unify, DOW1 & 2 fans - I don't think even the hero's behave like the Dawn of War 2 Commander Units)
My concerns are:-
1) A Serious vibe to the graphics - to be cliche... "Grimdark" (swinging as far away from the cartoony graphics as humanly possible)
2) A vast improvement in voice acting and dialogue in general
3) The return of Paul Dobson as the voice actor for Gabriel
4) Less childish animation (Leaping Mobalos, Jumping/Floating Jonah, skipping Space Marines and Hot Rod Solaria)
5) Sync Kills
6) A Morale System
7) A Supression system
8) Squad Upgrades for dynamic adjustments whilst in battle
9) Unit preservation incentives
10) Leveling system for squads
11) Kill counters for units
12) A retreat mechanic
13) Relic Points
14) Building variety like DOW1 (this seems like a minimised CoH style base building)
15) Environmental impact - (similar to frozen lakes in CoH etc)
16) Line of Sight - like in CoH2 - often used for ambushes
17) Less Rock, Paper, Scissors (more soft counters)
18) More value to line units - (nearly all videos I've seen is pretty much just Solaria and Gabriel gibbing entire armies)
19) Over-the-top particle effects
20) Less Gabriel Mobalos (Hero's really do seem to play like League of Legend Champions from what I can see)
21) A proper cover system like in DOW2 (encouraging some really interesting tactical movement rather than A-move blobs and ability spam)
22) Less simplified capture points (not a massive fan of the fact each capture point seems the same - strips away reasons to press/battle for particular resource points)
23) More Global abilities and an "Ability resource" much like the red resource in DOW2 (all I've seen so far is a nuke which is just on a timer so far?)
24) Still lacks the larger scale battles like in DOW1 but doesn't have the precision of DOW2 battle either
25) Dynamic Squad Movement so that each unit doesn't move around like a robot
26) A more sensible unit size scaling, why are hero units like Gabriel and Jonah now so huge?
27) No Power generators now turns "power bashing" into a simple decap of a resource point.
28) The ability to build turrets/mines like in DOW1 & 2
29) I don't think (?) every Space Marine unit in a squad is normally fully equipped with plasma guns in a squad with that upgrade.
30) Garrison-able structures
31) Random moments in the game has been completely gutted/stripped from the game thus nullifying those exciting moments of uncertainty.
32) Nukes seem capable of absolutely gibbing entire armies with ease (even making the Wraith Knight float defenselessly, or one-shooting HQ) how do you recover from that?
33) 100% accuracy results in dull firefights without a real need to micro units (moving units closer to improve accuracy, no longer being able to supress units, blob vs blob encouraged etc)
34) Many line units (even more specifically Tactical Space Marines or precious Eldar) are considered expendable in this game
35) Lack of turrets and defensive structures will encourage base rushing and cheese and furthermore the cheese will be bland unit spamming, at least turret rushes etc are interesting and creative.
36) Not only is the cover system truly awful, it doesn't even bother with tiers of cover (ie heavy, light, negative)
37) Gliding/skiing Wraith Knight.... WEEEEE!
38) Nukes are available at Tier 3 on a timer and 250 power...nothing else? I think there should be a building that enables nukes (think Temple of Nod for Nod's nuke in C&C etc etc) to give people a chance to nullify the threat.
39) Blobbing looks to be encouraged in this game.
40) Even on the few squads you can actually purchase upgrades for, there is much less variety than before (no more plasma devastators, no more Missile Launcher tacs,
No more Multi-Melta or Assault Cannon or Hellfire Dread seen so far)
41) DOW3 has stripped out more features than it has added (if it's added anything new) I would love for this to have been the "next step" in the series and to have continued Relic's tradition of evolution/innovation in the RTS genre
Sorry if there are any repeats - I don't thiiiink there are!