Are there going to be racially flavoured playstyles for each army in DoW3? Specifically I want to touch on a few design points that should influence such decisions:
- The decisions between high and low toughness models from each army range, to fit within the unit build table
- Whether the chosen units are going to be melee or ranged focussed and at what density (I personally would suggest having 50% ranged 50% melee for every army is boring and furthermore some races do not support symmetrical design philosophy to start with (eldar have no jumptroops for example))
- How the chosen units will interact with each other and their natural counters via mitigating factors such as model count (or such as lootas vs devastators/DarkReapers for HP and armour values)
- The use of jump troops across each race, with SM already known to have assault marines, compared to Stormboyz, compared to.. Banshees? Could we not get Shining Spears instead?
- The presence and value of healing units as either squad attachables or stationary buildings
- The prevalence of flamer or flamer-type weaponry
- The prevalence of missile launchers or other high strength weaponry which ignore armour
- The presence of aircraft or other flying units like deffkoptas to match SM landspeeders
This game isn't like starcraft like all the haters be sayin'. Starcraft allegedly started out as some 40k RTS project but then became something completely different by the time it launched. The comparisons between Terrans, Protoss and Zerg to SM, Eldar and Tyranids that you will find all over the internet are totally anecdotal.
This universe is based on a set of predefined ideas about the setting; the characters and the environments and the social/political/racial/species group are all predefined decades ago in print. What I want to say on the matter is that I don't want to see this new game go down the same route as DoW1 where the hard-counter or soft-counter units function exactly the same, or have the same hp, or have the same damage resistance, or have the same squad sizes if they are different.
We have seen something of a unit list for two of the races so far but not complete ones yet (theoretically).When I'm talking about racial play styles I am talking centrally about the use of things like teleportation/jetpacks/skimmers etc for eldar through their tanks, jetbikes and webway/warpspiders sort of thing. I'm talking about SM being quite tanky and this helps because healing is more valuable for SM units thanks to higher armour values contributing more against small arms fire while it being less valuable for Eldar or Orks because both of these races have lower armour and so take more damage from everything to begin with. Things like maybe Orks being able to reinforce in the field instead of only at base to really drive home how limitless their numbers are in a combat situation, you have to alpha them off the field or face a battle of attrition you can very realistically lose.
and in future installments with possibly Chaos being able to corrupt enemy units in to monsters, ImperialGuard having orders as unique mechanics or tau being very heavy on the crisis suit shenanigans I think that racial flavouring for combat strategy is an extremely important topic to discuss at this stage when things can still be changed before release if they don't currently meet our expectations, or if they do meet those expectations, make our opinions known that we like them and that they shouldn't be dramatically changed (especially like what we saw with DOW2 between open beta and release, when DOW2 went gold it was like a completely different game to it was just 4 weeks earlier and I feel personally like it wasn't as compelling an experience).
So I want to know what you other guys are feeling on the topic, do you want to see heavily stratified racial strategy for each faction or do you want a more normalised balance with flair added on the edges for taste? Something else completely?