Having to do this in parts because of the text cap.
Having managed to gain a key for this weekend I launched the beta and proceeded to play three games; one as each race which included 2v2 and 3v3.
This game lives up to my expectations which is an incredible relief after all of the naysaying and worries over the art direction. Personally I felt it captured the essence of DoW 1 rather well. It is however a lot brighter and there is a tremendous amount going happening on screen all at once.
What has been done well:
- That large scale battle feel that was very reminiscent of DoW 1
- Elites are a fairly balanced way of giving the game a much needed wild card option. Each game never feels too samey. They're also have that nice familiarity with commanders from DoW 2.
- Action looks stunning
- The build up to large combat is fantastic. Helping out a team mate with an engagement by bringing in your large army to which the enemy responds with a huge walker or nuke never ceases to be fun.
- The return of base-building and each buildings respective units/upgrades are another familiar return from DoW 1
- Cover bubbles provide a nice defensive structure to critical locations throughout the map. They also force the other player to respond with a new strategy.
- The feeling of all out war is captured pretty much spot on, despite some of the really 'squeaky clean' looking models.