This is a discussion about the Tankbusta, Shadow Spectre, and Lascannon Devastator squads. I'm interested in what we all think about these units, the mechanics behind their damage ramp-up, and especially their bonus damage to skimmer units.
Cost, Models, and Durability
- TankBustas: 6 models, 140 health per model for a total of 840 health and a cost of 420 requisition. Max speed of 6.
- Shadow Spectres: 3 models, 95 health per model for a total of 285/420 health/shield with a cost of 435/30 and requiring an upgrade costing 270/30. Max speed of 5.5 with skimmer movement (but not skimmer type).
- Lascannon Devastators: 3 models, 280 health per model for a total of 840 health and a cost of 420 requisition. Max speed of 5.
DPS, Ramping, and Bonus Damage
- Tankbustas: 22.5 AP damage per rocket (135 per salvo) every ~4.625 seconds (~30 DPS) at range 50. 40 bonus True damage against skimmers for a total of 375 damage per salvo (~60 DPS).
- Shadow Spectres: 2.5 AP damage every 0.25 seconds for 30 AP DPS for the whole squad at range 42. 5 bonus True damage per shot against skimmers (+60 DPS for the squad) with DPS increases of +18 AP DPS and +24 AP DPS after 5 seconds and 13 seconds of continuous fire against the same target respectively (total ramped DPS/against skimmers: 72/132 DPS). The squad loses all ramping progress when switching targets.
- Lascannon Devastators: 1.875 AP damage every 0.25 seconds for 22.5 AP DPS for the whole squad at range 50. 4 bonus True damage per shot against skimmers (+48 DPS for the squad) with DPS increases of +22.5 AP DPS and +33 AP DPS after 4 seconds and 8 seconds of continuous fire respectively (total ramped DPS/against skimmers: 78/126 DPS). The squad must not have fired in the last 5 seconds to lose ramping progress.
How have you found these units? Do any of them need changes?
Also, an interesting fact I found while writing this: the Heavy Bolter Devastator doctrine that increases range when in stealth or heavy cover also applies to Lascannon Devastators.